Producing good bacon is simple, but the processes involved are complex. I am not a historian or a food scientist, but I work in the bacon industry as an entrepreneur. Understanding the environment is fundamental.
The best way for me to understand complex processes is to retrace the historical account of unravelling the system. This is the approach we follow related to bacon. One of the most exciting stories in bacon is that of saltpetre (potassium nitrate) and sodium nitrite.
1. Concerning the direct addition of nitrite to curing brine
2. Concerning Chemical Synthesis and Food Additives
3. Clostridium Botulinum – the priority organism
4. Concerning Nitrate and Nitrite’s antimicrobial efficacy – chronology of scientific inquiry
5. Concerning Ladislav NACHMÜLLNER and the invention of the blend that became known as Prague Salt
6: Ladislav NACHMÜLLNER vs The Griffith Laboratories
7. The Life and Times of Ladislav NACHMÜLLNER – The Codex Alimentarius Austriacus
8. The Naming of Prague Salt